Monday, 31 July 2017

Seaside Stitches

Hello there!
If you have been reading this blog for a while you may remember that I have a seasonal shelf which I am filling with different stitched smalls for each month. Now some months have quite a full shelf and others are barely started, June falls into this last category and this year I really wanted to do something about that. The seaside is June's theme and I spotted some lovely little designs on Pinterest that would be perfect for it. A little more hunting on the internet revealed they were from a book published a few years ago called Sand, Sea and Cross Stitch by Anna Field, a little more hunting and I discovered Highland Libraries have a copy which I promptly requested. It arrived at our local library when we were in Arran so I picked it up the morning after we got home. Oh what a lovely book this is!!! After a first look through I seriously wanted to just sit down and stitch half this book straight off! Plus, as a lot of the designs are filled with small motifs, there are others which caught my eye with a view to swapping out motifs and changing things about. One thing which makes this easier is that the whole book uses just one color palette -  what a neat idea! It also means once you have your floss picked out you are good to go with any (or all!) of the designs. Plus, as there are only 24 colors, if you wanted to change the color scheme it would be relatively simple to do. All in all I was very impressed and soon realised there was no way I would be done with this book by the time I had to return it - I dropped some very unsubtle hints and was lucky enough to receive my own copy for my birthday in July ;-)


Pippa is not so impressed with this book, I think she feels it should have some cats in it, or mice to chase at the very least! But I fell to stitching and soon had three of the little designs finished which had first caught my eye...





I stitched them on white and navy 14 count aida with the listed DMC colors, finished them as flat ornaments, and they joined the one small I already had on my seasonal shelf...


Although I could've just kept stitching out of this book till Christmas I decided to limit myself to just one more at the moment and this time I was going to change it up a bit. In issue 319 of Crossstitcher magazine I was very taken by the seahorse alphabet designed by Durene Jones. I wanted to stitch the word "Summer" with it but thought it would look even nicer with a seaside picture above it. I looked through my files of magazine charts and one caught my eye - it turned out to be taken from the Sand, Sea and Cross stitch book!


I remember when this was in the magazine I liked a lot of the design but not the wording under it so I decided to replace the wording with the seahorses. The blues used in the seahorses design were the same blues used in the book so I didn't need to change any of the colors used in either chart. I chose some white 28 count evenweave from my stash to stitch it on because there are lots of fractionals in the seahorses and I prefer working them on evenweave. I started off with the waves from the book chart and then centered the seahorses underneath...


Isnt' he sweet?! I decided to stitch some of the houses next and discovered something strange...I have two copies of this design at the moment, one in the library book and one from a back issue of WOCS magazine and the picture in the magazine and the book match. The chart that was printed in the magazine matches the picture. But the chart printed in the book is slightly different in a few places!!! I thought I was seeing things at first but it turns out to be one of those "the more you look the more differences you spot" deals! So I am going to pick my favorite bits from the two versions of the chart and you can have fun spotting the differences when it is finished! Right now this is where I am up to...


I used the jade color from the seahorses in a couple places in the houses and will probably use the gold of the letters somewhere in the houses too just to tie the two designs together a little bit more. I will be back soon with my 17 UFO's in 2017 post but just before I go I wanted to draw your attention to a stitchy blog I discovered a few months ago. Blogger of the Week is run by Jo from Serendipitous Stitching and is a great way of discovering new cross stitch bloggers (or learning more about ones you might already read!). Have a great week!




4 comments:

  1. I am in love with your seaside projects. I am always tickled when I see people take a design (or two) and create something all their own with it. I can't wait to see it finished. Happy stitching! --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Thank you so much! The book really does have some lovely designs in it but I think one of the best bits of making stuff yourself is that you can change things to just how you want them and then end up with a totally original item! Have a great week :-)
      Helen

      Delete
  2. I love the ornies you have made from the Seaside book and the Summer piece is going to be stunning.
    I do change my displayed pieces through the year but I'm usually a month behind as I forget to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! Thank you so much for your sweet comments :-) I think when you have been stitching a while you need to start swapping things in and out as you run out of wall space! Apart from things that actually have the month written on them mine often hang around for a while too, if Hubbie comments I tell him it's intentional ;-) Have a great week,
      Helen

      Delete

Thank you for your message - I love hearing your comments & ideas!